Advertising

Everything TNGC
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Advertising

Post by Firejack » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:10 pm

With Battlefield 2 upcoming and our new server confirmed I believe its a good time to market the community as open to new recruits.

What we need to do is work out an effective recruitment strategy. Not sure what that involves since advertising isn't my strongest subject. Don't suppose we have any business people/students who could give us some advice?

In terms of new recruits we want people who will contribute above all else and actively participate in the community not just leech off the benefits of being part of the community. I realise the recruitment policy's for the community are somewhat useless. Not my best attempt at writing something to inspire the troops to join us so that could probably do with some work.

Mark has suggested he restarts work on a TNGC recruitment video. This is an absolute brilliant idea and I think it should feature highly on the website to illustrate what exactly joining one of the TNGC divisions actually means.

We should also centralise the recruitment process to a single section on the TNGC website so we can collectively manage applications from people wishing to join. Some sort of notification system to update divisional leaders of new applications and inform applicants of the progress of their application. Bringing all the recruitment to a single location will also reinforce the point that people are joining a multi gaming community and not a Clan.

We need some artwork producing. Some animated gif's or flash presentations to grab people attention. Maybe we could get some banners made or signature images to paste around the Internet on the various forums I'm sure we are all members of.

The main advantages of TNGC membership should be promoted.
  • Dedicated Battlefield 2 server
  • Dedicated Half Life 2 server
  • Dedicated Teamspeak server
  • Website
  • Forums
  • Knowledgeable & helpful community.
Well you get the idea - I hope ;) Everyone who reads this should comment as it effects us all.

We all know the dangers of not being prepared and shrinking member numbers.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:16 pm

Well, I'll put the website address on the dragster I'll be running ;-)

I could also put a link on http://www.streetdragster.com.

Aveox
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Aveox » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:02 pm

Ok, here's a few suggestions to promote the TNGC:

-First of all, remove the WoW banner on the main page. Make it a generic TNGC banner or something that blends images of several games into one picture (maybe an animated gif?). First impression the current site gives is that it is a WoW gaming site. I can cook up something next week if needed.
-TNGC movie is nearly done. I still need to shoot some BF2 material, do a final editing pass and then send it to FJ for approval. Current footage consists of Planetside, some WoW (very hard to get good WoW footage, but I got some shots), Tribes 2, Need for Speed Underground and Battlefield 1942. File size will be 30-40 megs.
-Use TNGC signatures on other websites. I send a whole pack of sigs to FJ some time ago.
-FJ, if you need help writing the community recruitment, just shout.

BF2 specific:
-Above all: If we have a good, stable server players will be come automatically.
-We need to enforce strict rules on the server (no TKing, play the game as intended, etc.). Every member has to contribute to that by warning players that are out of line and kicking them if needed. Our house, our rules. A server that is known for good teamplay, strict rules and active admins etc will advertise itself by word of mouth.

allicorn
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by allicorn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:12 pm

on Recruitment

I think the #1 thing we need to make clear is: What is the goal of recruitment?

Its either (A) Grow as fast as possible to be as large as possible
Or (B) Grow selectively, recruiting only folks who really can contribute to the community

I'm sorry, and I know it sounds snobbish, but the fact is if you're open to everyone, you'll get a representative sample of gaming humanity.... including the lower percentage of absolute dregs who ruin so many online communities.

IMHO, recruiting 1 person who's team-oriented, friendly and an involved community member is worth far more to us than recruiting 100 random leet-speek-named anonymous twits who'll do nothing to further our reputation in-game and'll have little or no useful input for the community as a whole.

on Marketing

I'm a director of a small marketing and web-design company ( http://www.peppermill-marketing.com/ ).

Ave's signature images are totally beautiful and, I reckon, any of us who use sig images on forums should be using them. We could probably use a page on the TNGC site that shows them all off and gives out the PHPBB and HTML code that folks need to use to link to them.

A really cool TNGC Video could do us a lot of good. Torrented and linked on Filerush and such, an exceptionally cool, or particularly funny / mind-blowing video will get thousands of downloads.

I agree about the WoW banner on the TNGC site, but I think we need to do more than just change that. I know, FJ, you were really overloaded with work at the time the site was going live but, unfortunately, I think it shows a bit - to my mind, the site looks a bit unfinished and a little scruffy in places. I'd be very happy to do any amount of work on it to improve it, from a little touch-up here and there to a complete overhaul.

Also, can we get more members to use the My Profile feature on the website pls? We only have 9 configured character profiles and less player profiles than that. Makes us look like a very small fish indeed, when in fact, we're not :-)

Alli

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:23 pm

allicorn wrote:on Recruitment

I think the #1 thing we need to make clear is: What is the goal of recruitment?

Its either (A) Grow as fast as possible to be as large as possible
Or (B) Grow selectively, recruiting only folks who really can contribute to the community

I'm sorry, and I know it sounds snobbish, but the fact is if you're open to everyone, you'll get a representative sample of gaming humanity.... including the lower percentage of absolute dregs who ruin so many online communities.
i think its a mix of the two to be honest. your never going to get a clear view of people without giving them a chance, but at the same time you dont want to flood your clan/guild whatever with anonymous members. thats where the trial system comes in, if after a week management decides theyre not right for the group then they get appoligetically removed. its a system thats worked well for us, though weve not had to refuse membership after a week for a lot of people.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:24 pm

lol that was me crasp, seems ive been logged out.

allicorn
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by allicorn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:37 pm

That sounds like the best bet Crasp, yeah.

Alli

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:54 pm

B :wink:
I have absolutely zero ambition to be a leader of a community with more then say 100 active members. It would just be way beyond my leadership skills.
I simply want a recruitment page that can make the recruitment program streamlined/ easy to use/ effective at filtering out those who will not add anything to the community.

If you want to improve the website then go ahead Alli. I've never had professional training in term of web design so you may be able to offer a much more suitable site. All the learning materials I have and buy for computers are solely focused on hardware or networking.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

MegaZonk
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by MegaZonk » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:01 pm

Aveox wrote:
We need to enforce strict rules on the server (no TKing, play the game as intended, etc.). Every member has to contribute to that by warning players that are out of line and kicking them if needed. Our house, our rules. A server that is known for good teamplay, strict rules and active admins etc will advertise itself by word of mouth.
Second that for sure, and a good mix of what the rest of u wrote (to lazy to quote).

And im gonna force Mini to do some artwork and see what he come up with, hes pretty good imo,,,,, not after me tough, but LadyZonk is an artist so i guess she must be his mother ;)

Return to “TerraNovaGaming.Community”