How to imprint a sense of..

Everything TNGC
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

How to imprint a sense of..

Post by Firejack » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:42 pm

... community in members?

Tough question this but I think we need to find the answer. Just been playing Planetside. For once it wasn't a pure zerg. Good fun fight constantly moving around.
However the most disappointing thing is the fact that walking around I see so many ex-MAP and ex-Starwolf people still playing but with different Outfits :roll:
We must be doing something wrong if peope fail to realise this is a community and we must remain loyal to it otherwise we don't make any progress.
Somehow we need to figure out what message to give to people to make them stay. Recruiting is a huge problem now in PlanetSide but we wouldn't have this problem if people stayed with us! This apply's just as much to whatever other games we play.

Brainstorm time people!
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:39 pm

We should form a hit squad and if anyone leaves, the boys go round and duff them up!

Seriously though, I have no idea how to fix this - i experienced the same thing as guild leader WoW - it was one of the catalysts that made me want to leave in the end. What's the point in leading if you can't have loyalty?

Conri
Just call me Timmy!
Alias: Dark

Post by Conri » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:18 pm

Maybe the problem that lies behind this is the TNGC's focus on Guilds.
Just Take Planetside for an example - we had two outfits in Planetside, MAP, and Starwolf, both had inherrently different playing styles, and I'm sure we're all very aware of the differences. The problem became even more inherrent in WoW, with problems such as:
Realm Type
Horde or Alliance
Type of Guild
And even other problems such as the Spanish population on Agamaggan.

Of Course, we can never truely wave a magic wand to irradicate these problems, but we can do, is have the best guild we can for the majority of the members we are aiming for.

I would Encourage more people to get on X-fire, IT would be Really exceptionally useful to be able to see what EVERYONE is playing (And where, in the case of games such as BF2)
for example, looking at mine now, i see Ascardon playing PS
Megazonk playing (BFT) [Osbscure Swedih]
W0lfeh (Kazuronri on X-fire) Playing BF2 on the TNGC server and showing the server is 20/24 full.

Perhaps the simple solution is to cater to everybody. Take BF2 as an example - Setup a "Hardcore" Clan (Fill it with Total RANDOM people if nessecary) Getting new TNGC members. Then the remaining non-hardcore members can still play/train, whatever with the hardcore members.

If Setting up another guild is too much trouble, how about asking them to join the TNGC? The advantages speak for themself - I know Aveox has a PvE alliance guild - Why not ask them to join?
Instead of setting up a new BF2 Clan find a hardcore one and get them to join.

Thats about it for my ideas, Please do realise though, that whilst reading this it may sound like I'm advocating a magic, easy, solution, but it is in fact the opposite.

Bilko
FunnyGuy 2.0

Post by Bilko » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:20 pm

I have belonged to the same TFC community now for the past 4 years I dont play anyomore but the community is still as strong as ever and I think a lot of it is brought by the IRC channel I know I waffle on about it but its true we hang out in IRC just chatting this is how you build up a community by becoming friends once you have a core of people you can build on it.

A perfect example of this is my get to know your teamies thread in the free chat only 3 people have bothered to reply, ive tried to encourage people but only three have taken the time to post.

perhaps I post to much crap I dont know but I aint gonna stop :twisted:
Last edited by Bilko on Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So he said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.'"
The Great Tommy Cooper

Ascardon
Star Commander
Star Commander

Re: How to imprint a sense of..

Post by Ascardon » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:47 pm

Firejack wrote:... community in members?

Tough question this but I think we need to find the answer. Just been playing Planetside. For once it wasn't a pure zerg. Good fun fight constantly moving around.
However the most disappointing thing is the fact that walking around I see so many ex-MAP and ex-Starwolf people still playing but with different Outfits :roll: ...
u cant imprint these kinda senses in someone who is playing a game mostly alone. I am back at PS now for approx. 2 month and i never saw more than 4 members on. Most times its one or two. So u play alone or with different outfit. The next step is joining that outfit, because PS is mainly a teamgame and playing in a team means more fun too.

MegaZonk
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by MegaZonk » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:05 pm

Dark wrote:
Megazonk playing (BFT) [Osbscure Swedih]
Not obscure... BFT=Borta från tangentbord=AFK ;)

w0lfeh
Point Commander
Point Commander

Post by w0lfeh » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:30 pm

i have to agree with soupy IRC is the way togo yo help the community.

i useto play tfc meny moons ago in uktfcl and diff leuges and ladders yet i still hang about in the clan irc room and chat with everyone and disscuss tactics and even play a game or 2. its also nice to find out more about the ppl you play with from them, and what they are intrested in.

soupy are you on quakenet ?
if so what chan i will come poke j00

Aveox
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Aveox » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:28 pm

Ok, I will try to explain my opinion about it, but I have to warn you that it might be rather abstract and presented like a lecture and everything. I also have to warn you that I am very tired atm, so this might not make that much sense :roll:
Dark wrote:I know Aveox has a PvE alliance guild - Why not ask them to join?
I don't have a PvE guild. I am member of a 1st class PvE guild, nothing more. And I have already contacted my guild leader about possible joining. That's the best I can do.
Soupy wrote:once you have a core of people you can build on it, I dont think we have a core yet.
This community does have a core, and a strong one. A lot of us have been here for quite some time (Starwolf joined something like 1,5 years ago, and it was already a big community back then). The problem lies in the fact that a community needs "critical mass" to sustain itself: It needs enough (core) members to keep the ball rolling. This community doesnt have that. This is a very small community with a rock hard group at the center that is too small to do it alone. With every new game this problem becomes apparant.
Firejack wrote:We must be doing something wrong if peope fail to realise this is a community
Another big issue here is the misunderstanding of the "community" entity. This group of people say they are a community, but they behave like a clan. The difference is this: A clan plays a single game with all of it's members. They will play it until "the next big thing" appears on the game radar and then they move en masse to the new game. This is what happened here (PS - WoW - BF2 anyone?)

A community on the other hand is more loose. A community is nothing more then a framework that allows it's members to play multiple games without being restricted in any way. This in turn encourages members to keep playing the game they like under the flag of this community (and staying loyal to it). If the community is very focused on a single game (what happened here during the WoW phase) it will automatically chase off everybody that is not interested in that particular game. That's clan-behaviour.
Dark wrote:Maybe the problem that lies behind this is the TNGC's focus on Guilds.
Just Take Planetside for an example - we had two outfits in Planetside, MAP, and Starwolf, both had inherrently different playing styles, and I'm sure we're all very aware of the differences. The problem became even more inherrent in WoW, with problems such as:
Realm Type
Horde or Alliance
Type of Guild
And even other problems such as the Spanish population on Agamaggan.
A lot of you said back then that running two guilds (PvE and PvP) would be a disaster because it would split the community and the sky would fall down etc. How wrong!
If two guilds were started, they would have been smaller ofcourse, and yes, the start would have been very difficult. But small guilds will grow, and if you have two guilds, your community will grow twice as fast. So initially you would have to suffer a loss (few people to start with), but in the end you would gain twice as much (two guilds bringing in new people). Ok, I hope that wasn't too biased given my past with WoW and the TNGC... :roll:
Firejack wrote:we don't make any progress.
All of this is not new. Long before I joined the TNGC I saw a gaming community being born, called WOLFgaming (http://www.wolfgaming.net). I happily joined (I was very inactive, but that doesnt matter). Their setup is uncanny similar to the TNGC: Gaming community with forums and big ass teamspeak server. Members of the community that had the possibility set up their own, passworded, WOLF servers for several games (Tribes, UT, BF1942 etc.). You would receive server passwords if you joined the community or by word of mouth from a WOLF member.
Initially they suffered the same problem as the TNGC: Small online numbers, low interest etc. But they got past that, got their "critical mass", and all of a sudden you could find WOLF members in every online game you can imagine (just take a look at their forum section to see what I'm talking about). They had the same problems as we do, sucked it up and worked for it and now their numbers are in the thousands!
w0lfeh wrote:i have to agree with soupy IRC is the way togo yo help the community.
Dark wrote:I would Encourage more people to get on X-fire
Xfire, IRC, Teamspeak, forums.... They are all just tools. They don't improve community feelings, they just allow motivated people to keep in touch more easily.

---------------------------------

How to solve the "problem" FJ spoke of:
I think the best practical example would be for BF2:
There has been talk about league play for BF2. For that you need a dedicated team. The fastest way to get people is to recruit them from inside the community. We can have a league team right now! The only problem is: You take away people from other games. So BF2 will gain strength, PS and WoW will lose, and the community itself won't gain anything at all.
The best way is to forget about ladder play alltogether for at least 6 months. Set up the server, admin it tightly, and people will join this community because they like our BF server. When that happens, you will automatically have you league team, consisting of people that joined because they liked BF, not because they have been purged from other sections of the TNGC.

[Yoda]Meditate more on this I will[/Yoda]

allicorn
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by allicorn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:41 am

Aveox wrote:There has been talk about league play for BF2. For that you need a dedicated team. The fastest way to get people is to recruit them from inside the community. We can have a league team right now! The only problem is: You take away people from other games. So BF2 will gain strength, PS and WoW will lose, and the community itself won't gain anything at all.
The best way is to forget about ladder play alltogether for at least 6 months. Set up the server, admin it tightly, and people will join this community because they like our BF server. When that happens, you will automatically have you league team, consisting of people that joined because they liked BF, not because they have been purged from other sections of the TNGC.
Mod +5 Insightful :-)

...and in translation for the non-slashdotters amongst us... " /sign " ;-)

Alli

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:11 am

Hmmmm like that idea Aveox. Advertising for recruits and gaining a solid reputation on the HL2 server has brought some recruits our way.

Perhaps this would also work on Teamspeak? Open up a few public channels and get some new people onto the server curious to find out about what happens in the other channels.
Would probably have to password protect our existing channels but this won't be a problem.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Vantre
Teamwork Never Gets Chicks

Re: How to imprint a sense of..

Post by Vantre » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:33 pm

Firejack wrote: We must be doing something wrong if peope fail to realise this is a community and we must remain loyal to it otherwise we don't make any progress.
Interesting question but a very open-ended & difficult one...

There are a couple of basic issues (which are tied together) that this comment really highlights though;

- What is the purpose of the TNGC community?
If 10 people responded to this, you'd probably get 10 different answers. To me, it's something which adds depth to playing online games. There are various apects to this, such as discussing tactics of the games, getting to know your team-mates better, planning raids and so on...

Different people will have different views, but it's important to understand what the most important & common ones are before it's possible to work out how to improve the situation. Which leads to the next issue...

- How should the TNGC progress?
Depends entirely on what the purpose of the community is. Is the goal simply to become bigger? Or to have the members more actively engaged across the TNGC (using forums, TS, profiles etc). Is it for the members to develop better relationships between themselves or to be more active in competitive areas of gaming?

Lots of things are possible, but it needs a good, shared idea of which direction things should head in & why before much progress can be made.

There's possibly another issue in where the balance needs to be found between organisation/structure vs informality/fun. If the goals are particularly big ones then that potentialy involves even more work by those administering the community - which is potentially at odds with the basic aim of having fun. This balance seemed to be at the heart of problems in the VA in PS for example.

Lastly, Aveox hit the nail right on the head with his comments on critical mass & tools.

A community needs sufficient critical mass not to become fragmented as new games arrive. This is what happened to Planetside as people either stopped playing it in preference to other games or left the community as it lost it's relevance to the game they played.

This is currently an issue with BF2. The joy will come (I assume) from playing with a well organised, tight-knit team - but will there be enough players I know well enough online whenever I happen to fancy a game? And if there are, what does that mean to the numbers playing WoW or PS?

And on the subject of tools.....the last thing you should focus on when trying to improve something is the tools. Work out what you're trying to do & the process you need to go through first - then the appropriate tools become obvious & should slot into place.

So firstly - identify the shared purpose of the TNGC & what the real goals are. Then it'll be possible to figure out how to get there.

V
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note - this is all the perspective of someone pretty fresh to the TNGC so may well go over stuff that's been discussed before. Also this is all intended in a contructive tone & I appreciate the hard work by various folks which already goes into it (I'm not suggest anything here 'just happens' :) )

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:58 pm

Good post Vantre!

What does it matter if Battlefield pulls people from PS or WoW? Change is the one true constant and it should be embraced. This community exisits, I believe, because on the whole we enjoy each others company and we have history together. In a way it's a shame were not all playing the same game anymore but migration is a part of gaming life. Battlefield is the next stage, it may be a fleeting engagement but then another game will tie us together again in the future.

Of all things said so far, I think Vantre's point is the most incisive - what do you want of TNGC? Is it that the health of the TNGC mirrors the health of our gaming environment?

Aveox
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Aveox » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:17 pm

Firejack wrote:Perhaps this would also work on Teamspeak? Open up a few public channels and get some new people onto the server curious to find out about what happens in the other channels.
Bad move IMO. Being a part of this community should have some exclusives. The TS server is definately one of those. You should really learn to think more like Fileplanet :P

Vantre wrote:So firstly - identify the shared purpose of the TNGC & what the real goals are.
From the TNGC website:
By creating a new commmunity the TNGC has been able to share resources and knowledge of online gaming to create a more enjoyable atmosphere for those purely focused on gameplay where they are free to play without hassle. A multi-national network of trusted contacts and servers allows members to find players with similar gaming interests safe in the knowledge they share the ideas of teamplay and fair play in online games.
Hmm, could be a bit less official. We're gamers afterall, not politicians. I agree though that maybe the goals of the TNGC are not that clear across the community. It's difficult for me to see that because they are very clear to me.

tbh, this community is going in the right direction. I think it may just be that people still tend to think in terms of guilds, outfits, clans, etc. while in fact it is just one big pool of players that want to play games together. I am guilty of this myself, because I refused to recruit MAP members into SW some time ago. When the same issue came up in WoW (multiple guilds) the reaction was the same as well: Instead of realizing that we are one single community (and that loyalty to the community is more important then individual guild rosters) people fiercely defended their guild leading to quite some stress/discussion. Time to wake up and smell the coffee I guess....

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:48 pm

Ave - just to clarify, the splitting of guilds in WoW is an issue because of the way the game is designed. To achieve things in the later levels you need as many people as possible. I didn't object on the basis that it would have a detrimental effect to TNCG - just Nemetos.

Aveox
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Aveox » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:14 pm

Well FJ, since you proposed to brainstorm, what are your thoughts for now (except for "I wish I never touched the subject" :wink: )?

Return to “TerraNovaGaming.Community”