Attention:- Something you need to be aware of when posting

Everything TNGC
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Attention:- Something you need to be aware of when posting

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Okay, there is something I need to make you all aware of when posting.

Over the last few weeks I have had to edit posts that explicity refer to or condone software piracy. There a two issues with posts that mention software piracy.

1: Discussion groups are regulary trawled by bodies such as FACT, RIAA etc. Any references to softwre piracy can be and sometimes are investigated. Any resulting investigations put this discussion group at risk of closure and may even open the board owner to prosecution.

2: We have many members that are actively involved in creating software. One of those members actualy created code for a peice of software that another member openly admitted to pirating! These individuals put alot of time and effort into creating software and will not be too pleased to hear of them being pirated.

I am not for one minute so nieve to imagine that no one in the community will pirate software, but if you feel the need to discuss it, then please do so away from these forums.

Due to the legal aspect of this issue, we will have to take a zero tolerance stance. Up until now posts have been edited, from now on they may be deleted. Frequent abusers of this policy may have to be removed from the discussion groups indeffinately.

You have been warned.

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:52 pm

Honestly I have no problem with the subject personally as I don't agree to most of the Software copyrights as they need a big overhaul so they are fair. Especially when you consider maybe half of all programs have "borrowed" (stolen!) code from other programs to work.

The reason I don't like people discussing this subject here is purely down to the fact there are several people in the community who earn a living from writing software and I feel its pretty insulting towards them to be discussing piracy in front of those whose living they are talking about taking away.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Conri
Just call me Timmy!
Alias: Dark

Post by Conri » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:41 pm

First of all, in some ways i really don't understand why this forum is public, for matters like this.

but i do have a few semi-related questions.

you say boards are regularily trawled by groups like FACT etc.
surely only the top 3 boards are public-access? I understand of course it is possible for someone to work for FACT Etc.
I'm not asking this regarding the policy, just out of a general curiosity, especially regarding NDA's, and to what extent we can talk privately with other community members on the board. (that question is a perfect example reason why i don't understand why this is a public forum, especially as Free chat is Private :O)

That is to say, surely unless you are a member of one of the TNGC usergroups, you can't access anything but the top three forums?

the same applies to search engines scanning our site does it not?

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:55 pm

the same applies to search engines scanning our site does it not?
Nope.

Here's an experiment for you, find a topic that is "closed" to the community, copy a sequence of text and type it into the google search engine. It will show in the results list and the text will be viewable on screen. Only when you actually click the link will you get a "permission deined" screen.
[/quote]

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:25 pm

ok i'm curious now, how the hell does that work?

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Erm.. it doesn't. At least on the 5 tests I've done :shock:

ImageImage

Crasp
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Crasp » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:59 pm

thats because your on auto login fj :)

if its a weekend and im posting, prepare for nonsense.

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:15 pm

Still doesn't work :P

ImageImage

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:36 pm

You might need to choose an old post so Google has it in it's cache.

Conri
Just call me Timmy!
Alias: Dark

Post by Conri » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:33 pm

amigafan2003 wrote:You might need to choose an old post so Google has it in it's cache.
an example please? i've tried loads of old posts.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:32 pm

Lol - I can't find any either! Seems maybe one of the phpbb patches resolved the issue.

Regardless of that fact, I'd rather not walk up to a tough looking guy and punch him in the face just on the off chance he might be a pacifist.

Hope you can see what I mean there.

Edit - That was me - AMigafan2003 - logged out to test it!

Return to “TerraNovaGaming.Community”