How come?

Everything TNGC
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Tricobalt
Star Colonel
Star Colonel
Location: Molenschot Likes: much Cheese Dislikes: Locked Topics

How come?

Post by Tricobalt » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:13 am

How come lately there is a increasing number of advertisements spammed on our forum? Is it because we were featured in that magazine a while back or does it has some other reason? :?

Your thoughts?

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Callie
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Callie » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:29 am

Good question trico..and many of them are not guest but registrated usesers to -.-
Give admin rights and i will delete every damn spambot post and some other to :)
Do i have to write something here?

Tricobalt
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Tricobalt » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:47 am

Callie wrote:Good question trico..and many of them are not guest but registrated usesers to -.-
Give admin rights and i will delete every damn spambot post and some other to :)
aye i've been looking a bit to their stuff and they are so easy to recongnize. 90% is from the US and they have some really boring cliché interest/occupation and some advert website in their profile.

MegaZonk
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by MegaZonk » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:35 am

....and you can get software like this http://www.botmaster.net/more1/ , so any body could be a f...ing spammer :evil:

Tricobalt
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Tricobalt » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:40 am

MegaZonk wrote:....and you can get software like this http://www.botmaster.net/more1/ , so any body could be a f...ing spammer :evil:
it's sad to know there are accually people out there who think of such programms :cry:

Callie
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Callie » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:27 am

MegaZonk wrote:....and you can get software like this http://www.botmaster.net/more1/ , so any body could be a f...ing spammer :evil:
Oh great..its only cost 400$...think im going to get me one :?
Tho..i guess does who use it get money from companys they advertise for.

Tricobalt
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Tricobalt » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:14 pm

well if it costs 400 bucks i guess i can be made. So i also presume there are advertisers who have home-made ones.

anyway, looking at the members list, over 30 people joined our forum in the last 3 days, and almost all of em have some website they are advertising, they don't all post but still. I guess the only solution is to manually delete em or whatever. But if that is the case, why not make it harder to registrate? That way you know if people joined they are serious about it and not just trying to be some commercial.

Is that even possible? or am I just rambling about stupid idea's now?

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:19 pm

Bots are nothing new to the forums. We've had problems with them for around 18 months now.
The current problem is there is no way to counter them. I was collecting IP addresses in the hope of identifying the source of the bots as they were most likely all being sent from the same server or ISP. Unfortunately they have come from all around the world making it impossible to block them at source.
The anti-spam measures built into the forum software can now be read by the bots making it useless. I added a mod to the forums the other week to stop the bots but it appears they can also read this now too.
There is no real way to counter the bots as they are becoming more and more sophisticated. The next version of the forum software should have added features to stop the bots. Alli has also suggested he could make a custom anti-bot feature. This seems the best (only?) option for the time being.
Deleting them manually is a pain as there is no easy way to mass delete them.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Callie
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Callie » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:38 pm

Just give me back the mod rights i had for some time and i can take the job deleting every bot post here.
And does other forums have the same problem as this with all the bots?

Kati
Ban me if I quote spam!

Post by Kati » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 am

FZ doesn't. :twisted:

I think FJ should usergroup restrict everything but the support and recruitment ones. Should help a little, for the time being....
"He who is too cheap to invest in knowledge is not just cheap but also dumb, and he will stay dumb." ~ Not sure, but it was butchered in translation by yours truly!
"Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy." ~ Bob Kelso

allicorn
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by allicorn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:12 pm

Ok, TNGC's shiny new anti-spam-destructo-bot is on the case! Hopefully we should see an immediate and fairly dramatic reduction in the amount of garbage posted by non-members (garbage posted by members will remain unaffected ;-) ).

For the technically minded, here is a schematic of our new robot...

Alli

Tricobalt
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Tricobalt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:24 pm

but alli, if it doesn't affect the spam from the members i guess it won't have much use since more than half of the adverts are made by bots who registrated first :?

Not saying it's a bad thing though, i guess every thing adds up.

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:27 pm

In the excitement of adding the Robot pic Alli forgot to mention registered users who have less then 10 posts can't post links either 8)
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

allicorn
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by allicorn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:28 pm

Ah, the trick is you see, it can tell the difference between morons who only signed up to post spam... and other morons :-D

Smart cookie that robot ;-)

Alli

Tricobalt
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Tricobalt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Firejack wrote:In the excitement of adding the Robot pic Alli forgot to mention registered users who have less then 10 posts can't post links either 8)
Ooh, now that makes me feel like the ending of the endless adverts is finally in sight! It makes me feel all snuggely when i think of a non advert spamming forum, even though i have more than 10 posts so i can continue on my life work of brabbeling useless stuff i guess :P
allicorn wrote:Ah, the trick is you see, it can tell the difference between morons who only signed up to post spam... and other morons :-D

Smart cookie that robot ;-)

Alli
Are you suggesting something? :?: :idea:

Return to “TerraNovaGaming.Community”