Maybe losing Teamspeak/game servers

Everything TNGC
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Maybe losing Teamspeak/game servers

Post by Firejack » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:25 pm

Tonight I've had something of a shock. Reading some of the new changes being made to my ISP unfortunately mean I'm probably going to need to migrate to another supplier therefore losing our Teamspeak and Game Servers. I need to know what other options we have for hosting these servers in order to make a balanced judgement of the postives and negatives of changing my ISP.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:31 am

Seeing as Mega is always boasting about his up/down speeds, let him host for us :D

bjerringholm
Mr. Jackhammer

Post by bjerringholm » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:41 am

well... i guess i could host the TS server.
got a 2 Mbit down 0.5 Mbit up connection

Aveox
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Aveox » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:55 am

BJ, thats the same as trying to pull a 500 ton coal train with your bare hands......
You can host a TS server on that connection, but it will be something like max 10-15 people, and then you don't have any bandwith left for actually playing a game yourself.

I don't know how to solve this. Maybe a rented server is an option, but who is going to pay for it?

MegaZonk
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by MegaZonk » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:03 pm

Hmmm, what do we need to start a new server??? I mean, can you upload it to a place that was meant for homepages ?? Or do you need to make spec arr with your isp ?? Plz let me know what we need and i see what i can do. I cant host it on this puter, as i only got 1Mb up and we are 3 gaming freaks in this family

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:49 pm

No you can't use a web server for Teamspeak or Games Servers. Technically they require too many resources to run on the same box as a server hosting lots of websites.
Unless we have someone with a 1+ Mbit upload on their connection we will struggle to host any games. Teamspeak should be easy enough.

Anyway someone has suggested a work around for me so I'll have to try that next week.

ImageImage

Conri
Just call me Timmy!
Alias: Dark

Post by Conri » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:53 pm

isn't £22/month cheaper than renting TS and game servers (By an awful lot) ?
Perhaps you could explain in a little more detail the "changes (Sorry, i'm very curious).
Thinking about it, you can't have two ADSL unless you have two lines.. so i guess you only get one ISP

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:08 pm

Plus.net have introduced traffic shaping on SSH. I need to use SSH to tunnel a connection between University and my Home server so I can avoid the nasty firewall restrictions the University has so I can still game and make VoIP calls.

ImageImage

Crasp
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Crasp » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:19 pm

one of my friends hosts a TS server for guild wars, theres a chance i can get him to resub WoW and have him host our server. another friend of mine also has several game servers set up, so if it still necessary give me specifics of what wed need and ill look into it.

if its a weekend and im posting, prepare for nonsense.

Bilko
FunnyGuy 2.0

Post by Bilko » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:08 am

The games servers we have are not played on much by us I dont think the HL2 server will be slightly missed but not much I reckon.

Its the TS2 server that is going to be the problem and the only option would be to rent a server and pay for it this would cost us around £30 a month give or take, and this doesnt work when it comes down to payment nobody wants to pay have been there and it ends up putting a divide within the community as some pay some dont.

easiest way to get round this for a short term or long term solution would be setup a main IRC channel with various sub room for BF2 WoW etc... then when a game or raid is going on someone hosts TS on there PC and puts the IP address in the room message for people who join after. People could meet up in IRC instead of TS and we dont have to host anything so no cash problems.

ps im back BTW :)
"So he said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.'"
The Great Tommy Cooper

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:45 am

One alternative to TS is http://www.ventrilo.com/. As far as I'm aware this doesn't require a central server and it has some very nice features.

Edit: D'oh I think it does use a central server but I have heard of one that doesn't. I just can't remember the name of it :oops:

Aveox
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Aveox » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 pm

I doubt there is software available that allows you to run a TS-like environment without a dedicated server. I do believe there is plenty of stuff for peer to peer audio connections (like MSN), but that sort of thing is useless if you need 10 people coordinating something.

Should the TS server be taken down without us having an alternative, I suggest we go for Soupy's proposal of setting up an IRC channel.

afaik, Ventrilo does need a central server as well. It's very similar to TS, but it seems to have better quality sound (from what I've heard) but also requires more bandwith

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:46 pm

I can give you a clue, the one that was mentioned to me began with an O...I think and the person that told me did say it was serverless. They may have been mistaken of course. I think I remember who told me about it now, so I'll ask her next time I see her online.

Aveox
Star Colonel
Star Colonel

Post by Aveox » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:54 pm

The only thing I can think of that will run serverless is Roger Wilco (Doesn't start with O, I know). But that will only allow two clients to connect to eachother. If you want more users, you need a "base station" a.k.a. server.

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:39 pm

I don't mind paying for a 36 person TS server but it will be on a first come, first serve basis, with priority given to Planetside players, then Beltain Lords, then Nemetos Order.

If we lose FJ's TS server, do you want me to go ahead and do this? Can't help with the game servers I'm afraid.

Return to “TerraNovaGaming.Community”