signiture size increase

**Note** See forum below for computer tech support
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Bilko
FunnyGuy 2.0

signiture size increase

Post by Bilko » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:49 pm

I want a longer signiture like this

The Great Tommy Cooper

"So he said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.'"

but only got space for 255 characters any way of increasing the limit ?? please
"So he said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.'"
The Great Tommy Cooper

Conri
Just call me Timmy!
Alias: Dark

Post by Conri » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:18 pm

what i think is dumb, is a character limit, yet the banner (etc) can be HUGE at the end of your signature :? :?

Bilko
FunnyGuy 2.0

Post by Bilko » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:45 pm

Here here c'mon lads keep the pressure up soon we will be able to have sigs so HUGE that they will need a server of there own

muhahahahaha
The Great Tommy Cooper

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:51 pm

I believe the reason for the limit is you have 256-1 slots available on a 8-byte field in a 32-bit database - like MySQL is. If you increase the amount of characters you need 2 slots of 8-byte*32-bit to fit in the information. So I belive the limit is there just to make the database more efficient. Of course I could be totally wrong. I'll wait for Dismus, Allicorn or some other programmer to correct me.

Anyway.. I've changed the limit to 510.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

allicorn
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by allicorn » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:52 pm

The field type for user signatures is what MySQL calls just "text", which can hold up to 65534 characters, so there's no meaningful database-specific limit to the length of the sig. The limit has to be an additional restriction enforced by PHPBB - and since FJ has just upped it, it must be configurable :-)

Alli

Bilko
FunnyGuy 2.0

Post by Bilko » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:57 am

perfect cheers :)
The Great Tommy Cooper

Return to “Help and Support”