Forum upgrade

**Note** See forum below for computer tech support
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Forum upgrade

Post by Firejack » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:03 pm

This weekend I'm upgrading the forum software from phpBB2 to phpBB3. I have tested the upgrade and it worked fine. There are likely to be one or 2 issues though.
The obvious couple being the forum theme will be the new default theme for phpBB3 as the other themes will need to be redesigned to work with phpBB3. Feel free to design any of your own as it would be nice to have a choice of designs.
The other major difference is I'm streamlining the usergroups. Unfortunately whichever way I do this its messy so I've decided the easiest thing to do is reset the usergroups meaning people will need to reapply to their usergroups. All the divisional usergroups (Starwolf, MAP, Nemetos, Beltain etc) are being merged into the "Community Member" Usergroup. So apply to that if your group disappears.

You can message me on Xfire while the forums are being upgraded or you have any problems. :)
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Conri
Just call me Timmy!
Alias: Dark

Post by Conri » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:27 pm

FJ wrote:The other major difference is I'm streamlining the usergroups
All the divisional usergroups (Starwolf, MAP, Nemetos, Beltain etc) are being merged into the "Community Member" Usergroup. So apply to that if your group disappears.
Any chance of an explanation for a pretty big change (and a pretty big back-peddle on a previous decision)

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:51 pm

The permission system has changed greatly. There are many more options and you can really configure just about anything you could ever want to do on the forums.
One change that is really useful is you can now set multiple group leaders to each group with moderation rights over that group. So now we can have all the divisional leaders as group leaders for the "Community Member" group so when a new member joins the divisional leader will be able to give them access to the rest of the forums by adding them to the one group instead of each divisional leader having to add users for their own group and myself needing to keep updating each group individually each time a change is made to the forums.
I was hoping for a system of inheritance. Whereby a child group could be placed with others in a parent group and each of the child groups would get the same access rights as the parent group. This way works just as well though. With the exception if we ever needed to E-mail a block of users it would be a tricky process to target the Email at say just the EVE online players.

ImageImage

Conri
Just call me Timmy!

Post by Conri » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:20 pm

So - As a result Nemetos Order forum will be viewable and postable by the entire community?

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Yes. But don't tell Killer ;)

The NO Officers one will remain hidden. I sense an all out rebellion if I changed that. The NO Officers forum will be the only hidden one though. Admin forum is becoming viewable also.

ImageImage

Callie
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Callie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Sweet, finally i get to read and post in NO forums again :D

Also i get to see what the admins talk about..all the dirty little secrets u have in there :twisted:

BTW, will the postcount be reseted or will it be unchanged? <--- most important question so far.
Do i have to write something here?

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:55 pm

It will be unchanged for now. Really want to replace postcounts with a reputation/karma mod though. Just can't find one I like..

ImageImage

Callie
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Callie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:10 pm

So the more post the higher karma/rep or what?
And maybe u could put in some new ranks in that case to..just to make it a bit funnier.

Conri
Just call me Timmy!

Post by Conri » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Basically Karma is a value attached to your posts.

So, the more posts you get where other people rate up your posts, the higher karma value.

In short, the more useful, funny, or insightful posts you make, the higher your karma. the more pointless, insulting, or ridiculous posts you make, the lower your karma

Tzar
Star Captain
Star Captain

Post by Tzar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Bye Callie! :twisted:

Callie
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Callie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:57 pm

Meh, i don´t believe in karma anyway so..i just think shi t happens in life, nothing u can do about it.

And fj love me to much to remove me anyway..im the one keeping the forums alive 8)
Think how dead they should be with all my important posting here.

Btw fj, how long will the update take and will the forums be down for some time or what?

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:09 pm

The forums took about 30 minutes to setup and an hour and a half to upgrade. My poor Athlon XP 2500+ didn't know what hit it. I wasn't expecting the database upgrade to take as long as it did. The web server is much faster though so I reckon it will be done in under an hour. The thing which takes the time is the reconfiguration of the forum after its been upgraded. Removing all the permissions and setting up new groups is probably going to take an hour. Then another hours to do all the other fixes I noted down before in the Admin forum.

All of Saturday afternoon while I'm listening to the Liverpool game on the radio and maybe into the early evening is looking most likely. 4 hours in total perhaps.

ImageImage

Callie
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Callie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Okay, hope i can survive that long with out the forums ;)

And its pretty creepy that u answer a question on the forums directed to u or post a answer when someone says your name somewhere so fast.
Tell us the truth, u do have a secret spy program that is searching every single post here on the forums after FJ or Firejack and when it finds a new post there, it will alert u.
Thats why u can answer so fast..im on to u.
And i dont believe u read every single thread ;)

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 pm

This is my homepage. Everytime I look for something on the Internet I check for new posts here first. Quite often I end up reading something on the forums and completely forgetting why I came online. Perhaps I should change my homepage to Google or something ;)

We might be able to add notifications via the Open Source Jabber IM protocol for the forums. That would be kind of cool because we could integrate the forums, chat room and Instant Messenger into the same system.

ImageImage

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:00 pm

shame there's no way to intergrate with xfire as it's pretty much the only IM client i sue these days, i only log onto another when i'm planning to talk to someone about something i've rpe arranged

Return to “Help and Support”