Vista Service Pack 1

**Note** See forum below for computer tech support
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Vista Service Pack 1

Post by Theodora » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 pm

okay, i don't seem to be able to install this, it just doesn't come up in windows update, having check the FAQs the most likely problem is a driver conflict (it's supposed to recognise certain drivers that'll give it trouble and so not offer the SP, having checked though i'm pretty sure i have none of the offending drivers

anyone got any other ideas of what i may be doing wrong or how i can check if it is a driver issue (if it's not installing because there's a disallowed driver installed, there must be a way for it to tell me which one is giving it the problem)

fleurbrawl
Point Commander
Point Commander

Re: Vista Service Pack 1

Post by fleurbrawl » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 am

I couldn't install it either, but then I'm still on XP :)
Mind that bus... What bus??? *splat*

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:03 am

Have you tried the redist versions (i.e. standalone - not windows update)?

32bit
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/m ... dd4529.exe

64bit
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/m ... a8f4b9.exe

Crank
BF2 Server Admin

Post by Crank » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 am

Hi Theo my desktop has the same problem.

Do you have any Creative hardware - Soundblaster etc? I do, and I'm thinking perhaps that's why it isn't available. My laptop installed it just fine.

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:18 am

Do you have any Creative hardware - Soundblaster etc? I do, and I'm thinking perhaps that's why it isn't available.
Creative do have notoriously squiffy drivers.

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:43 pm

crank, my soundcard is from creative, i've updated to the latest drivers 03/03/08 but no joy

amiga, if i DL and install the standalone file what could happen? is it likely to cause problems or would it just not install?

Crank
BF2 Server Admin

Post by Crank » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Theo - my understanding is that it will update just fine, the possible device/driver conflict is just stopping SP1 being offered to you through automatic updates. I guess potential problems after installation all depend on what is causing the incompatibility.

I've read MS are in contact with software developers and they're updating their drivers etc. in preparation for the official SP1 release (when it starts downloading and requesting installation without your input) so it may just be a matter of time.

Also I have the latest Creative drivers too, though I can't think of much else that could be causing this. My desktop has next to nothing installed on it right now. There's a list of things which aren't currently compatible here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

Return to “Help and Support”