NEW Teamspeak server up!

**Note** See forum below for computer tech support
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Re: NEW Teamspeak server up!

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Another idea is we TAX our members :twisted:

Anyhow... did you get the login details for the server yet? I just need an SSH account and I can try to setup Teamspeak.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Firejack wrote: People will happily spend £10 a month for a game subscription but not £1 a year for a website and teamspeak!

That´s a bit of an overreaction. I would happily donate for the website costs as would most on here if there were a donate button. We managed it before when Theo was treasurer and we got more than we needed.

Just do as you did last time and make all members aware that we need money. Whining in a low traffic forum like this won´t achieve much.

As to TS, I haven´t donated to that as I haven´t used it in years and I don´t want to subsidise the WoW players who get most use out of it.

Anyhow I´m happy to pay for a website that´s been our home for so many years now.

How about sending a community wide PM with a donation button so it´s all a nice one click sort of affair and not a big kerfuffle?

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm

What we really need is a paypal donate widget I guess. Just want a simple way for everyone to track who has donated what and how much we're short. Must be one out there somewhere.

ImageImage

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Fen makes some decent points

we should hold of complaining people won't pay up when they currently have no way in which to pay

i never got why the donate now button was removed to start with, could we please get it back (i have no web skills so i'm unclear how this is to be done) we can then make an appeal for donations and depending on the response we can make plans

we've not bothered to actively seek donations for a long time now as our initial fund raising efforts were so successful we've been paid up for a 3 year period, i doubt we'll have any real problem with an appeal for people to donate what they feel they can afford, after all many of us who weren't in employment back then have jobs now (or better paid jobs) :)

edit: i'll keep everyone up to date on what we've received like i did last time, if necessary i can give a running account of what we've received, i'd rather in the first instance just ask people to be generous and see where it gets us.

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Freya

Post by Alastriona » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Theodora wrote:Fen makes some decent points

we should hold of complaining people won't pay up when they currently have no way in which to pay

i never got why the donate now button was removed to start with, could we please get it back (i have no web skills so i'm unclear how this is to be done) we can then make an appeal for donations and depending on the response we can make plans

we've not bothered to actively seek donations for a long time now as our initial fund raising efforts were so successful we've been paid up for a 3 year period, i doubt we'll have any real problem with an appeal for people to donate what they feel they can afford, after all many of us who weren't in employment back then have jobs now (or better paid jobs) :)

edit: i'll keep everyone up to date on what we've received like i did last time, if necessary i can give a running account of what we've received, i'd rather in the first instance just ask people to be generous and see where it gets us.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... ro-outside

Scanning over it. The button is just a simple piece of HTML code that can easily be inserted into an existing web page.

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:50 pm

I don´t know if this is useful or even relevant but heres a donate cloud type thing http://www.zirona.com/software/wordpres ... ons-cloud/
Is that convertible or insertable in php?

Or theres this but its not free http://www.webscriptsdirectory.com/PHP/ ... get-L6164/

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Theodora wrote:...i never got why the donate now button was removed to start with,....
  • Allicorn designed website portal/forum integration
  • Forum software update broke integration
  • Allicorn modified forum templete to show donate button
  • Allicorn left the community
  • Forum software update broke modified template
  • Donate button disappeared
Theodora wrote:...could we please get it back (i have no web skills so i'm unclear how this is to be done) we can then make an appeal for donations and depending on the response we can make plans...
I kind hoped you knew. Can't say I know much about Paypal. Think I've used it 3 times! I'll go look now...
Theodora wrote:...edit: i'll keep everyone up to date on what we've received like i did last time, if necessary i can give a running account of what we've received, i'd rather in the first instance just ask people to be generous and see where it gets us.
This sounds good.

ImageImage

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Alastriona wrote:.....Scanning over it. The button is just a simple piece of HTML code that can easily be inserted into an existing web page.
I saw that too but..
Firejack wrote:What we really need is a paypal donate widget I guess. Just want a simple way for everyone to track who has donated what and how much we're short. Must be one out there somewhere.
Found one... just need to see how it works. Theo, PM the account name/Email for the community paypal account. Don't need the password or anything else.

ImageImage

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Fail... I do need the password to. Need to login to customize the widget.

ImageImage

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:02 pm

you'll have to wait till i get home this evening, i can;t recall of top of my head what they were, although i'm not entirely happy about giving out my personal account details...

i'm also not 100% sure that we actually need the tracker thing quite yet, it may be used by people to see that we're at target so they don;t need to now donate, the good thing about before is people gave what they felt they could afford and we then had a healthy surplus, something like a tracker should only be needed if we have trouble getting the money in

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:10 pm

I was going to turn off the target feature of the widget. Only really want it for the donate button and to show who has donated so they get recognition.

Also hmm yea. Handing over your personal paypal account details is probably bad. Is there some reason why a separate paypal account couldn't be made for the community?

ImageImage

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:34 pm

If it is easier, I do not mind paying for a 6month subscription for TS.
FJ, If you want we can discuss this when I get home?
I see a red soul and I want to paint it black!

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:56 pm

It would be easier, thanks for the offer, but no.

We need to get this sorted properly. Or we'll end up being lazy again and taking advantage of individual generosity.

Alastriona has a server sorted for now. We should easily be able to get Teamspeak setup in less thn an hour tonight.

Then we have 4 weeks to get the donation button up and running. Gather enough money for another month/year of Teamspeak on the new server.

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Freya

Post by Alastriona » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Hey sorry for the late response, the server has been up for a while now. But I've been too busy playing with it to hand you the ssh info. I've installed GNOME so we can use vnc to get a nice grapical interface to our server.

Below you can see me remoting into our server:
Attachments
RemoteDesktop.jpg

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Haha cool. Never used a remote Linux server with anything but shell access before now! Guess I won't need to setup putty after all :mrgreen:

ImageImage

Return to “Help and Support”