NEW Teamspeak server up!

**Note** See forum below for computer tech support
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Re: NEW Teamspeak server up!

Post by Theodora » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:09 am

lol, i'd double check they haven;t just taken another payment out of your account though

my point stands though, we need to organise a new round of fund raising, sooner rather than later which means the donate now button back on the forums would be useful

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:41 am

Ill donate as well when the button is up. I also dont mind alternatives, but not at the cost of downtime on TS.
I see a red soul and I want to paint it black!

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:18 pm

and it is down, yay, now we are **BEEP** for our raid, and we actually had the people this time

edit: as a sidenote: any idea how long before youll decide what you are going to do?

Youngster
Star Commander
Star Commander

Post by Youngster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 pm

put up a donate button plz!
"Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Gah this is ridiculous. A 30 minute task still isn't complete 10 days on. Questions we need answering.
  • Where are we going to host the server?
    • Does someone have a server we can use?
    • Are we going to rent a dedicated server to set teamspeak up on? -- I can help with this. Would need 2 other people
    • Or shall we just pay a teamspeak hosting company for a server?
  • How are we going to pay for the server?
    • Someone pays out of their own pocket?
    • Shall we use Paypal to collect donations? (If so Theo will need to post the donate link)
  • Who wants to help run the server? (we'll need at least 2, 3 would be better Server Admins) --- I'll help with this.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Freya

Post by Alastriona » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Firejack wrote:Gah this is ridiculous. A 30 minute task still isn't complete 10 days on. Questions we need answering.
  • Where are we going to host the server?
    • Does someone have a server we can use?
    • Are we going to rent a dedicated server to set teamspeak up on? -- I can help with this. Would need 2 other people
    • Or shall we just pay a teamspeak hosting company for a server?
  • How are we going to pay for the server?
    • Someone pays out of their own pocket?
    • Shall we use Paypal to collect donations? (If so Theo will need to post the donate link)
  • Who wants to help run the server? (we'll need at least 2, 3 would be better Server Admins) --- I'll help with this.
I think when I find one I'll just pay for it up front. I just very busy with school atm. I know I promised to look for one over the weekend. I'll be the second person. I have no experience in server administration, but I guess it can't be that hard? :P

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 pm

That really depends on what we want to use the server for. If its just Teamspeak then we only need a couple of people. But if you want to do more you are going to need people with the knowledge and experience to setup the server.

I'd feel confident setting up Teamspeak, game and FTP/bittorrent.
Would probably struggle with a web server.
And couldn't be bothered with a database server as they do my head in :P

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Firejack wrote:That really depends on what we want to use the server for. If its just Teamspeak then we only need a couple of people. But if you want to do more you are going to need people with the knowledge and experience to setup the server.

I'd feel confident setting up Teamspeak, game and FTP/bittorrent.
Would probably struggle with a web server.
And couldn't be bothered with a database server as they do my head in :P
But at least if were struggling well be doing SOMETHING!

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:11 pm

I don't mind helping out with whatever is needed,
depending on the price of it I don't mind paying for the server for a decent amount of time

akira
Star Commander
Star Commander

Post by akira » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm

i'll help out with whatever i can, done some webiste admin/creating and ran a ventrillo server for a few years, dont know if ts is much different but doesnt take long to learn.

and i'll donate if ya make a button
Alymae wrote:
Lex wrote: We ride together we wipe together!
Bad Raiders for Life!

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:57 pm

FJ showed me this really cheap Uk based provider. They offered the first month half price. They do seem pretty cheap compared to other so not sure what to expect. The few reviews I've read say they are a bit slow on the support but otherwise good service.

I went ahead and started the Value plan. about 5 pounds for the first month. Got an e-mail and they are setting up the server. I'll pay for this first month. After its up we can evaluate if we like this service and determine if we need to raise more donations to pay for it. Consider this initial payment part of my donation.

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 am

I paid for six months / 25 slots and didn't recve any donations - I'm donating **BEEP** all to this one.

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:42 am

AmigaFan2003 wrote:I paid for six months / 25 slots and didn't recve any donations - I'm donating **BEEP** all to this one.
From what I recall you didn't ask for any. But if you want we can raise some donations and pay you back some?

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 pm

AmigaFan2003 wrote:.......I've paid paid for this out of my own pocket - if you would like to contribute to the server please go to:-...........
From the start of the thread ;)

Payment is always an issue. I paid for the original webhosting myself for several years. People will happily spend £10 a month for a game subscription but not £1 a year for a website and teamspeak!

In all honesty I believe we should probably run the finances of the community as a business instead of relying on donations. How this would work I'm not sure. I know other gaming communities maintain game and teamspeak servers then change for reserved slots. Using this model they are able to turn over a small profit to keep servers online.

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Firejack wrote:
AmigaFan2003 wrote:.......I've paid paid for this out of my own pocket - if you would like to contribute to the server please go to:-...........
From the start of the thread ;)
That only allowed me to extend the contract, not to donate towards what amiga had already paid for?
Payment is always an issue. I paid for the original webhosting myself for several years. People will happily spend £10 a month for a game subscription but not £1 a year for a website and teamspeak!

In all honesty I believe we should probably run the finances of the community as a business instead of relying on donations. How this would work I'm not sure. I know other gaming communities maintain game and teamspeak servers then change for reserved slots. Using this model they are able to turn over a small profit to keep servers online.
I think people are willing to pay. We paid for our current hosting from donations. If theres lots of effort involved in making a donation people will also be less likely to donate.

Return to “Help and Support”