NEW Teamspeak server up!

**Note** See forum below for computer tech support
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Freya

Re: NEW Teamspeak server up!

Post by Alastriona » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Firejack wrote:Have we got an alternatives in terms of a new host? I know we are running Teamspeak 3 beta but I can't say I'm impressed with the downtime and frequent connection problems.

Also I think it may be worth limiting our next Teamspeak server too 3 months. Brink will be out later this year and I think it'll be cool to setup a server for that. We could probably host Teamspeak on the side.

Since you've mentioned it Theo we could probably known down a package at our website hosts. Bandwidth usage has continued to decline steadily. Down to around 4GB/month of our 50GB allowance. Not great :cry:
What about a (virtual) dedicated server? Has anyone got experience with virtual dedicated servers? I've seen hosting on them for as cheap as 9.99$ but I'm not sure on what you'd get for the price. If we had a virtual dedicated server, could we host website+teamspeak on it? Could we host game servers on it as well?

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Have we got an alternatives in terms of a new host?
Nope - haven't looked into it and I haven't got the time to this week either - someone else will have to sort it out this time.

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:06 pm

We could go down the Virtual Dedicated Server route. This is something I've been interested in myself previously for the Community.

We would certainly get much better value for money switching to a Virtual Server and have much more flexibility with what applications we run and indeed how much storage we use.

With Amiga paying £7/month for Teamspeak alone its a complete no brainer really. For an extra £1/month we could host a bigger teamspeak server, our website, a small-ish game server for something like the mod Elmo is working on.

Of course in the end it comes down to time and whether we have anyone willing to take the responsibility. Or are we just going to go down the lazy route and pay more for a lesser service? ;)
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Multiplay doing 50% off new voice servers: http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/ord ... eamspeak3/

25 slots for £2.75 = win? :)

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Firejack wrote: Of course in the end it comes down to time and whether we have anyone willing to take the responsibility. Or are we just going to go down the lazy route and pay more for a lesser service? ;)
Well there are "managed" servers. These are pre-installed and maintained by your hosting company. They come at a higher cost though and I don't think you have as much control. Of course an unmanged PVS will need people in the community to install and maintain it. But it would open up many options to us. Hosting our own teamspeak server, game servers and developing web applciations using something else then the standard php/mysql solution offered by most hosting comapnies these days. Personally I don't have much experience with setting up and maintaining servers, but I wouldn't mind lending a hand. It would likely be a learning experience for me though.

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:47 pm

2 days pass and no one has anything else to contribute to the conversation? :(

ImageImage

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:51 am

Firejack wrote:2 days pass and no one has anything else to contribute to the conversation? :(
I don't know enough about VDS to add to that discussion
Firejack wrote:I know we are running Teamspeak 3 beta but I can't say I'm impressed with the downtime and frequent connection problems.
I have not noticed any downtime/ connection issues lately (excluding that patch they brought out for it) and have a hard time remembering when it had issues like that.

So well, no input since I don't see what the fuss is about
I see a red soul and I want to paint it black!

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Teamspeak goes offline tomorrow and we still don't have a solution. Come on everyone! Someone must have an idea!

Amiga don't renew the subscription. Maybe we need Teamspeak to go offline to concentrate peoples mind a bit :twisted:

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Firejack wrote:Teamspeak goes offline tomorrow and we still don't have a solution. Come on everyone! Someone must have an idea!

Amiga don't renew the subscription. Maybe we need Teamspeak to go offline to concentrate peoples mind a bit :twisted:
What about the VPS option? Or are you waiting for someone to take responsability for that? I'm guessing well need to raise some money as well?

That reminds me, how long does our current hosting package last?

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:34 pm

I spoke about this in wow with a couple of members, and noone really understands the problem with the current TS.

If money is the issue do tell, but that doesnt seem to be it?

The concensus in wow was that you want to play with something new. And sure, that is fine, but do renew TS for a month then while you are playing and when the playtime is over and the result is better then sure we will switch.
Firejack wrote:Teamspeak goes offline tomorrow and we still don't have a solution. Come on everyone! Someone must have an idea!

So to reply: We don't know what the problem is nor why we need a solution to the non-problem nor what ideas would be required. Getting TS online will not help concentration, it will just be annoying and pointless.
I see a red soul and I want to paint it black!

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:53 pm

I wish more people contributed to the forums like you Caldazar instead of keeping quiet.

To clear up your questions. Yes its partly about raising the money for the server. The core problem blocking us making progress is once again it feels like the work of providing the tools this community needs to function; forums, steam, twitter and in this case Teamspeak is once again being left to the same small group of people. Running a community requires a team effort.

I'm positive we are not utilizing the talents of people in the community effectively. We have got this far with the input of a few. Imagine what we can do if more people use their talents to develop the community?

ImageImage

akira
Star Commander
Star Commander

Post by akira » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:38 pm

the current ts is working fine, although i still insist ventrillo is far far far better. keep it as it is though tbh. as cald was saying earlier it seems to be a cash problem seeing as we dont have any memebers capable of hosting a server. im sure a notice in wow/ga etc will get you some donations, if 10 people dontate a euro then thats it sorted for a month!. i can donate a euro :) , not sure about donating a months sub though, money isnt that plentifull here atm.
Alymae wrote:
Lex wrote: We ride together we wipe together!
Bad Raiders for Life!

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:40 am

Well Theo is still the TNGC treasurer. I haven't seen him activly posting alot lately, but I'm sure hes still around reading the forums. Can't we put up one of those paypal donation links again? I would definatly donate and I'm sure there are more people who can donate, even if its just 1 euro.

Of course, it would be nice if first we had a plan: which combination of services, which provides. Stuff like that. I'll see if I can find and compare some VPS providers over the weekend.

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:51 pm

yes i am still here :P

sorry, i just haven't been finding anything much that grabs me gaming wise recently and it's exam time so i'm silly busy at work, i have been reading the forums most days though, just haven't had much to contribute

with regard to finances, we have no money in the account at the money, to be fair we've had 3 years web hosting of the last round of donations, web hosting is running at about £60 a year at the moment (as fj says we could probably afford to go for a cheaper package next time) if we want TS at £7.50 per month, meaning we need about £150 per year to maintain both, it's not a huge sum when you consider it, esp after you spread it across the group

maybe if we could get a new donate now button added and have a post on the front page?

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:14 am

It's quite amusing - sub ran out on the 11th but the server is still up :-)

Return to “Help and Support”