[Community decision] Community decision making process

Everything TNGC
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Freya

[Community decision] Community decision making process

Post by Alastriona » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:30 am

When it actually comes to making the decision making we never seem to get anything done. Discussion on the forums is slow and as soon as we are ready to make a decision people will have lost interest.

I suggest an alternative approach:

A TNGC member makes a decision and can begin implementation immediatly. After a week the decision is passed, unless 2 or more people object to it. In case people object they must also provide an (alternative) solution. The person proposing the idea will take full responsibilty of pushing and implementing the decision. It is also possible for a group of people to suggest an idea and then they share responsibility for it.

This will force people to take an active position in the decision making for the TNGC. I suggest we start with this very decision and consider it passed if no people object within a week. Any objections?

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Re: [Community decision] Community decision making process

Post by Fennris » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:40 am

I do understand the frustration and applaud you for finding possible solutions Alas. But isn't this possible already? With no official leader of the TNGC it has always been up to the rest of us to work on the problems.
I hated the lack of activity so I spammed the hell out of the place to try and get any form of discussion going.

When you make a proposal you must expect every possible counter point to be raised by those with an opinion. It is the swamp of opposing opinion that puts people off acting on their proposal and I think that's the problem. So what if someone disagrees, we will never know if something will work without trying it and getting solid proof.

You have always been great at that, you are an ideas man and were never shy of giving it a go. Go for it home boy, if it doesn't work try something else. Don't let the grumpy old sods get you down :beer:

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am

I thought your suggestion was already the case, and the endless chattering just a product of nobody wanting to take charge.

EG: SWTOR, now Killerwolf took command
I see a red soul and I want to paint it black!

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Killerwolf hasn't taken charge, Dekkard has.

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Fennris wrote:....When you make a proposal you must expect every possible counter point to be raised by those with an opinion. It is the swamp of opposing opinion that puts people off acting on their proposal and I think that's the problem. So what if someone disagrees, we will never know if something will work without trying it and getting solid proof.......
For people objecting they need to properly explain what the problem is with the proposal and then offer a solution. They must also have the skills, time, ability too. If they don't they are just wasting everyone's time.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Unrealistic FJ. Sometimes a problem can be identified with no clear solution, does that mean the problems shouldn't be bought up? This is human debate with its benefits and flaws. Frustrating yes, off putting yes but if you don't want discussion then just go ahead and do it, see what happens.

Crank
BF2 Server Admin

Post by Crank » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45 pm

I must admit we're real good at talking, not so good at doing. Some people have even talked themselves out of Battlefield 3, another in a long line of games that we were supposed to get involved in.

Honestly, it's pretty hilarious when you contrast the thousands of words already written about SWTOR and a possible guild to Killerwolf's paragraph, where he basically said 'im making a guild, you're welcome to join'.

My only major criticism of the TNGC is that we've always overcomplicated everything. Seriously, someone stick their hand up to be SWTOR GM, get the guild made on day one and everything else can evolve from there. I recall the PS days with the Vanu Alliance where half the time was spent on TS planning things, while other outfits just got **BEEP** done.

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:55 pm

You need to have a leader.
Generally FJ is accepted as leader by everyone else, but he himself doesn't want to be.
If there is someone around to actually step up and say let's do this, it'll be easy.

I might do that for GW2, depending on how WoW will evolve :)

EDIT: It is also the advantage of NO. While we might bicker alot, a final decision is always made in a few days after raising the issue, and acted upon.

Fennris
Galaxy Commander
Galaxy Commander

Post by Fennris » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Crank wrote:I must admit we're real good at talking, not so good at doing. Some people have even talked themselves out of Battlefield 3, another in a long line of games that we were supposed to get involved in.
This always happens with EA games, especially with the Battlefield series. It's a Marmite franchise sold by a controversial and overtly corporate entity.
Crank wrote: Honestly, it's pretty hilarious when you contrast the thousands of words already written about SWTOR and a possible guild to Killerwolf's paragraph, where he basically said 'im making a guild, you're welcome to join'.
The number of people who enjoy leading is vastly outnumbered by those who don't. We are such a small community now it's no wonder we lack the necessary demographics.
Through our "chattering" as Caldazzar puts it, Dekkard, a newer member has stepped up to lead. Killerwolf, if I read his intentions properly, will not be running a TNGC division but an external guild with the established Phalanx community.
Crank wrote: My only major criticism of the TNGC is that we've always overcomplicated everything. Seriously, someone stick their hand up to be SWTOR GM, get the guild made on day one and everything else can evolve from there. I recall the PS days with the Vanu Alliance where half the time was spent on TS planning things, while other outfits just got **BEEP** done.
Logistical nightmare aside, the Vanu Alliance was the largest enterprise on the Euro servers. I didn't appreciate it at the time for the same reasons you state but hats off to the guys who made it happen, when it worked it was awesome to behold and made memories that persist in the gaming community at large to this day.

I don't mean to be contrary here as I have made comments such as yours (Crank) before and still stand by them. I just want to try to balance the criticism a bit.
It seems like we talk ourselves out of games because a lot of titles since Planetside haven't been worth the financial or logistical investment needed.
Could Pirates, Conan, WAR, APB have persisted if no one spoke about them in the forums? Are there any more successful titles out there that we missed out on due to our chattering?

So go easy on us, keep it in perspective, a gaming community is only as strong as the subject matter it is based on.
It is a testament to the quality of our membership that we have weathered this awful gaming drought and still have the enthusiasm to look to future games.

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Crank wrote:I must admit we're real good at talking, not so good at doing. Some people have even talked themselves out of Battlefield 3, another in a long line of games that we were supposed to get involved in....
I kept saying it in previous Battlefield games so I might as well say it again here. BF3 will ONLY work for the TNGC if we have our own server (realistically 3 servers). Unless that happens it simple won't succeed. How can we all get onto the same server to play with each other at the same time unless we have a reserved spot on a server? You can't.
How to make BF3 a success? 1) Collect money 2) rent 3 servers 3) give TNGC members reserved slots 4) enjoy the game.

ImageImage

Caldazar
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Caldazar » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Out of curiosity, why 3 servers?

Firejack
Khan
Khan

Post by Firejack » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 am

Because no one wants to play on. Its pretty random how servers fill up. So you may find one evening there is no one on your server at all. At which point you have the choice to play elsewhere and effectively pay for an empty server or sit on the server hoping your presence encourages others to join.

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Freya

Post by Alastriona » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am

I thought BF3 wouldn't have dedicated servers, just p2p?

Back on topic. The idea was meant for community wide decisions such as the branding issue. Seems like we all like the idea of including it somehow but no one can make up their mind exactly how. I've tried to get an idea though but Instead of just stating: this is my plan. I asked for more opinions (bad idea). There is a different between straight out objecting and not really liking the idea. With this we would force a decision to be made one way or the other.

Return to “TerraNovaGaming.Community”