Mumble has less than a month left...

Everything TNGC
Access: Guests, Registered Users, Members
Forum rules
Posts from Unregistered or New users will not appear until moderator approval in this section. Allow upto 24 hours before trying to post again.
D3ViOUS
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Timmeh!

Mumble has less than a month left...

Post by D3ViOUS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 am

I'm sorry, but having moved into town and into a new flat Mumble is something that I cannot afford to keep paying for anymore. Especially since I hardly ever use it myself now.

So unless someone else steps forward and wishes to take it over, the TNGC Mumble server will be offline from 23/10/2011.

The payment is £4.50 per month.

AmigaFan2003
Sakhan
Sakhan

Re: Mumble has less than a month left...

Post by AmigaFan2003 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:04 am

No probs d3vious, thanks for keeping it running this long.

We'll look into sorting it out.

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:13 am

I think i raised the point before but i really think this is something that gets paid by the community as a whole, a bit like hosting for the forums. we all use it as a service so we need to cough up for it £54 a year is hardly a fortune or anything

oh and thanks Devious for keeping it going this long, hopefully we'll get you back gaming with us sooner rather than later

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Freya

Post by Alastriona » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 am

I thought this was already being taken care of by the community? It really shouldn't be one person. I don't mind donating again personally.

Theo, what exactly does the web hosting + domain cost us monthly?

FJ and me discussed a VPS before, I even rented one for a month. It could be a cheaper option and we could host unlimited slot mumble servers (obviously the bandwith and CPU strenght of the server would impose some limits). Only issue is that it takes slightly more maintaince, but we would have more control.

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 am

if i remeber correctly it was somewhere in the region of £80-£85 per year, can't remember exactly, that would make it £140 per year for mumble as well

prinses
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by prinses » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:22 am

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:32 am

prinses wrote:i like this pricing plan
Might be worth to try this free service and see how good it is. Since its free can't expect to much. I've registered a server to try it out and its being set up atm.

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 pm

D3ViOUS wrote:I'm sorry, but having moved into town and into a new flat Mumble is something that I cannot afford to keep paying for anymore. Especially since I hardly ever use it myself now.

So unless someone else steps forward and wishes to take it over, the TNGC Mumble server will be offline from 23/10/2011.

The payment is £4.50 per month.
Is there any way to tell the amount of bandwith we are currently using with the mumble server? Been looking it up on google and people are calculating 1000 GB (which is alot) per month for a 20 slot server, but that is only if people are talking 24/7 on it, with high quality codec and many people talking at once (which is unrealistic). I'm curious to see the real usage.

Theodora
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Theodora » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 pm

ok, what's the catch, how are they offering it for free?

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Theodora wrote:ok, what's the catch, how are they offering it for free?
Promotion for something else they are offering? I'm not quite sure as I can't find any. Will check it out and see what the service is like.

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Err right... I actually just doubled checked the date on this thread. I'm having serious Deja vu because...

A) Devious/Theo have already spoken to me about sorting out the Mumble server payments between themselves. Err what happened that guys??
B) The Community backup server is with UKgame. Again I'm sure I've raised this before.

I'll start talking to the wall from now on. Maybe it will listen to what I say :P

Oh and Alas, if that server works send me the IP and I'll redirect mumble.terranovagaming.com to it. Our other free one died around 6 weeks ago and I've not got a response from their support to find out whats wrong.
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

Alastriona
Community Donor
Community Donor

Post by Alastriona » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Firejack wrote:Err right... I actually just doubled checked the date on this thread. I'm having serious Deja vu because...

A) Devious/Theo have already spoken to me about sorting out the Mumble server payments between themselves. Err what happened that guys??
B) The Community backup server is with UKgame. Again I'm sure I've raised this before.

I'll start talking to the wall from now on. Maybe it will listen to what I say :P

Oh and Alas, if that server works send me the IP and I'll redirect mumble.terranovagaming.com to it. Our other free one died around 6 weeks ago and I've not got a response from their support to find out whats wrong.
They can delete if inactive. I will try the server at home.

Firejack
Khan
Khan
Alias: Irricas

Post by Firejack » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:55 pm

It still says its active. I've been logging in every week to keep it active. Now for some reason when I hit restart nothing happens :(
TerraNovaGaming.Community - for like minded gamers
Who you play with is what makes a game fun

ImageImage

D3ViOUS
Community Donor
Community Donor
Alias: Timmeh!

Post by D3ViOUS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm overwelmed by the response, thanks guys :)

As I said you've still got just under a month left until it goes offline.

FJ the last time I brought up the subject was a one off month payment thing. I've been good up until I moved :) Hence the creation of this new topic :)

Goff
Star Commander
Star Commander
Alias: MancNinja

Post by Goff » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:32 pm

I have my own 10 slot Mumble server that barely gets used. I don't mind people using it for small group play. It only cost me £6 for a whole year and I barely use it.
"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Return to “TerraNovaGaming.Community”